POST 1: LEARNING, MOTIVATION, AND THEORY

By reading motivation and learning, I understand that the most important factor in learning is motivation. First of all, I understand why we learn something new. It is possible that new knowledge is just what we are good at, and we can easily control it. At the same time, it is possible that new knowledge has aroused our interest. A lot of new things start with curiosity. So before we learn new things, we should have good motivation to learn, so that we can keep on learning.
Share a story about your best learning experience (could be a formal course or something more personal). Why did you enjoy it?
Last year, I signed up to learn Japanese. It’s very difficult for me to learn a new language because I know that I don’t have a lot of talent in learning a language. However, I chose to learn Japanese because I am very interested in it. I have been to Japan once before. I like the environment and culture of Japan very much, so I choose to study Japanese. My motivation here is interest. In the beginning, I was afraid of the fifty sounds in Japanese, because these words are hard to write and difficult to pronounce. But as long as I try to learn the pronunciation and memorize the writing of these words. The teacher will continue to encourage us to study and will reward us with some candy. The teacher’s behavior is more like a behaviorist. I like this Japanese teacher very much. Every time I ask questions, she always tells me patiently over and over again. I will feel the joy of learning Japanese. Finally, by the end of the term, I can easily write the fifty tones of Japanese and some simple spoken, written, and grammar of Japanese. The reason why I can master this knowledge is that I write and read it over and over again, so I think I am a cognitive learning method.
Maybe I didn’t learn much, but I was very happy in the learning process, and there was no great pressure. All in all, learning has found a good motivation, learning will be very happy, but also a lot of knowledge.

comment peer’ blog:  https://sainagao.opened.ca/

Reference:

James, H. (2020, May 11). Motivation and Learning. Retrieved from

Motivation and Learning

3 Responses

• Hello YangYang,
    I tried to learn several different languages myself too, and it was so rewarding as you can learn the language itself and their cultures as well – which made me more motivated in learning. However, I discontinued learning in some of those languages as I have either lost the motivation or faced difficulties practicing as I had no friends who were willing to practice or learn with me. I was wondering how you found the motivation to continue learning a new language even when it might be difficult to find someone to practice talking with.
    Thanks,
    Seul